Tanya Varma is a Partner in the litigation and enforcement team. She focuses on all aspects of brand protection and trademark enforcement, unfair competition, trade secrets and competition law. Her practice includes anti-counterfeiting actions under both civil and criminal laws as well as before the customs authorities and she regularly appears in ex parte and inter partes proceedings before the courts. She is an alumnus of Indian Law Society’s Law College, Pune.
She began her career with a large IP boutique firm where she handled the litigation portfolios of a number of Indian and multi-national companies. Thereafter, Tanya worked in-house at British Petroleum (India) as Trademark Counsel (Anti-counterfeiting), where she was responsible for enforcement actions for the Western Region in India.
Tanya is an empaneled trainer with the Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM), Government of India and regularly trains Customs and Police officers as also students on IP issues. She also conducts customs trainings in collaboration with REACT – the anti- counterfeiting network.
Tanya is the Chair of the South Asia Anti-Counterfeiting Committee within the Anti-Counterfeiting Committee of the INTA.
Tanya can easily visualise herself as a character from the Harry Potter books given how many times she has read them. She is also a board game aficionado.
Illustrative cases (on behalf of the Plaintiff):
1. Google LLC versus Arbica Rafai (OS No. 42 of 2018)
2. Century 21 Real Estate LLC versus Union of India & Ors. (WP (C ) No. 9453 of 2015)
3. Inter Ikea Systems B.V. v. Imtiaz Ahmed & anr. CS(OS) No. 3295 of 2014
4. Glaxo Group Limited & Ors. Vs. Rajiv Mukul & Anr. CS (COMM) No. 1620 of 2016
5. Rentokil Initial Plc. versus Sunil Vermani CS (COMM) No. 802 of 2017